Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Baked Tomato Sauce

My Mom gave me my Step Dad's cast iron skillet.  It was his favorite thing to cook with.  He passed away a year ago October 28th, and we do miss him very much!  He helped spark my interest in cooking by always trying new things and making yummy stuff for us to try.  This is the first thing I made in his cast iron skillet.  I actually really enjoyed it.  You can cook with it on the stove and bake...no extra dishes!

This recipe I found on Evil Chef Mom's blog.  She is a funny blogger.  Her stories and sarcasm crack me up.  Well when I saw this recipe I knew I wanted to try it!  So easy and tasty.  Her recipe has no meat in it, but my husband for some reason doesn't think that it's supper without some meat at dinner.  So hear it is.

Baked Tomato Sauce

Ingredients:
 1/3 cup melted butter

2-3 pounds very ripe tomatoes, halved...I used 5 large tomatoes
1/3 cup panko break crumbs
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound dried penne
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish or a cast iron pan with one-third of the oil. Place the tomatoes cut side up in the dish. Pour melted butter over tomatoes.

In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, and garlic and toss with a fork to mix well. Sprinkle the bread-crumb mixture over the tomatoes, making sure that each cut side is covered with the crumb mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake until the tomatoes are cooked through and the tops are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make noodles and drain. 
Time the pasta so it finishes cooking about the time the tomatoes are ready to come out of the oven.
When the tomatoes are done, add the basil and stir to mix everything into a sauce. Drain the pasta and immediately place it to the baking dish. Mix well.

(I cooked some turkey breasts and added them into the mixture too.)

EAT!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jess,

    Lovely sauce dear...:)

    Dr.Sameena@
    http://www.myeasytocokrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the kind of recipe I can imagine cooking for my family in 10 years' time, when we're all in after a busy day. It looks really comforting! Lately I've only been eating basic stuff, no creativity, but at the weekend or tonight I will branch out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...